Saturday, September 22, 2012

A List of Lines That Somebody Underlined in My Second Copy of The Perks of Being a Wallfower

..we were all supposed to think of reasons to live.

...I love especially now because my brother will be coming home soon...At least I hope he does for my mom.

...unconventionally beautiful.

Maybe these are my glory days, and I'm not even realizing it because they don't involve a ball.

...the people in the photographs always seem a lot happier than you are.

...all the people who make touchdowns and home runs will become somebody's dad.

"I don't think so. My mom would know..."

They stand twisted in bladder positions...

The things he said we just wouldn't understand because we are lucky.

There were only two people who weren't smiling. My grandfather and I.

I hope it's the kind of second side that he can listen to whenever he drives alone and feel like he belongs to something whenever he's sad.

I really think that everyone should have watercolors, magnetic poetry, and a harmonica.

I went to the library when Patrick told me he was gay, and I did some research because I honestly didn't know mucha bout it.


And I think they knew. Not anything specific really. They just knew. And I think that's all you can ever ask from a friend.

...it was the first time in my life I ever felt like I looked "good."

I would go to my bedroom window and star at my reflection in the glass and the trees behind it and just listen to the song for hours.

She lifted off the pillowcase, and there I was, standing in my old suit, looking at an old typewriter with a fresh ribbon.

On that piece of white paper, Same wrote, "Write about me sometime." And I typed something back to her, standing right there in her bedroom. I just typed. "I will." And I felt good that those were the first two words that I ever typed on my new old typewriter that Sam gave me.

"I want to make sure that the first person you kiss loves you. Okay?"

But for now, sledding is enough.

It was the way she said it that started me feeling.

I also called pizza crust "pizza bones."

...there was a time when these weren't memories.



No comments:

Post a Comment