Monday, September 24, 2012

A Lockwood and Evans Inspired List

 
E.E. Cummings was quoted saying “it takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.”
I agree.
When I was 2 years old I followed the family German shepherd, Raksha, out the back door.
We made it 4 blocks before my father realized what happened.
(My mum was out grocery shopping.)
I used to check my closet for Narnia.
Harry, Ron and Hermione were my closest friends in elementary school.
I did not understand what it meant to say “I love you” until I said it the second time.
I cried a lot as an adolescent.
I believe half of being successful is who you know-
the other half is comprised of common sense and book smarts in varying degrees.
I think baseball is romantic.
I am vain about my hair.
The Google ad (which pictures a montage of a father and daughter communicating using Google products during the daughters first year at college) made me tear up.
My mum is consistently late.
It drives me insane.
Griping about my mum makes me feel guilty.
My father taught me to never put anything in writing I might regret-
I have saved all his emails so I will never forget.
Adults and children alike compare my sisters and me to real-life Cinderellas.
Our stepmother is the reincarnation of the White Witch.
I am afraid of my boyfriend getting bored with me, the dark, and bees.
I once locked myself in my fathers Saab convertible for over an hour
because my father believed a lie my stepmother told.
My stepdad and I were kindred spirits.
There is nothing worse than a lie.
The words moist, supple and succulent make me cringe-
I just cringed having to type out those words.
If I don’t keep my nails painted, I bite them.
There was a time when I couldn’t find my way out of a paper bag,
but now I find myself trying to organize and control too much.
I feel a dysfunctional sense of responsibility to mediate my family’s problems with each other.
I love brussel sprouts.
My father makes life look easy.
My mum makes it look hard.
I don’t think it’s either.
 
C.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment